The nation is reeling after 17 people—including eight children—were killed in a raging fire burning through a high-rise apartment building on Sunday in the Bronx.
The cause of New York City’s deadliest blaze in more than 30 years? A malfunctioning space heater. Commissioner Daniel Nigro of the Fire Department of the City of New York said the blaze raged so fiercely because building residents using the faulty space heater left their apartment door open when they fled. This caused the fire and smoke to spread throughout the building.